Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Portraits of a great man: Jean W. "Beaner" Thompson


Over the weekend I went to see my great uncle, a truly inspiring man. He's done amazing things in his lifetime, but the ones that standout the most happened during WWII.

He actually started the Ranger program, and I do not exaggerate when I say this. Eisenhower would call him during the war, and 2 hours later he'd be on a plane with his team to jump behind enemy lines.

His chief duty was freeing prisoners. He would parachute in behind the lines, kill the guards and high ranking officers, try to get the prisoners out safely(which unfortunately, didn't always happen,) and somehow make it back to safe territory.

Growing up, I've been lucky enough to hear his stories. Some too gruesome to utter again. My favorite one though was when he had 146 people to evacuate. He killed most of the guards, got the people to the enemy's airfield, and hijacked a plane. He flew 145 out to safety on the enemy's own plane. Only one was lost that day.


When I was a young teen, he taught me how to throw a bayonet and a hatchet. If you don't know, a bayonet is the knife that was attached to the end if their rifles. They could take it off if they needed for hand to hand combat.

I'm so glad Brandon was able to meet Jean since his health is now dwindling. I feel blessed to have such an incredible man in my family.

7 comments:

Kari and Joel said...

He sounds like an amazing man! He also looks so happy, those are some great photos you took!

Bobbilynn said...

Wow. I really enjoyed reading that. What a great man! I would have loved to have someone like that to tell me cool war stories.

Alissa said...

What a cool guy! It would be fascinating to talk to him. The pics you took of him are beautiful. They capture his personality.

Celeste said...

What an awesome uncle you have! I love the pictures you took, they look so good!

Anonymous said...

150Cm 75Cm GOOSE and darker than Grey Geese. http://www.2012canadagoosepascher.fr I moved to Canada 20 years ago and was in Toronto for 10 years before moving to Nova Scotia. One of this year's most popular films was Bill Duke's "Cover," a film about the downlow…surprise surprise. We learn Freestyle, Backstroke, Breastroke, Sidestroke and even Butterfly! We love swimming but it makes us really tired.
Respecting animals needs to start young because acts of violence towards pets can sometimes be an indicator of violence towards people later in life.. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose chilliwack bomber[/url] An annual trend report has been issued by a flooring company based in the US which has predicted the top flooring and décor trends for the forthcoming year. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose whistler parka[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose toronto factory[/url] Much of American policy and relations between Filipinos and American policy makers rested on what Kramer argues were the "politics of recognition," in which American acknowledged the ilustrado population and its "capabilities" as "little Brown Brothers" under the rubric of "Benevolent Assimilation," meaning that US officials would recognize ilustrado power/significance of the moment while waiting to bestow on them formal independence when they illustrated the requisite characteristics. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre tour walmart[/url]

Anonymous said...

This program is inspired by Michael Goehle. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose for sale[/url] How sad is it that someone can't be their own size, whatever it might be, without manufacturers implying that we all MUST want to be smaller!. Farming did and does occur though on the arable land that can be found and vegetables were consumed when in season. In his review of the New York music scene during the first season at Arion Hall, critic Henry Edward Krehbiel described the importance of musical traditions to residents of the city's German enclaves, "The transplanted German did not forget that custom in the new life opened to him here.
mnemosyne - Google Search. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose parka[/url] From what I seen, I don like it. http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose jacket[/url] Remember how embarrassed we were as kids when she started practically begging the local shoe stores and department stores for shoes for the poor kids on the other side? /> I! But she persisted, and as I remember we did help distribute the shoes, until it steamrolled and eventually it took two big trucks each year to take all the shoes across the border to Reynosa, Rio Bravo, Matamoros, Valle Hermoso and deep into Mexico. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre future shop canada[/url]

Unknown said...

I can't believe I found this, I worked for him as a kid, 12 years old around his home doing odd jobs, he showed me so much from his past! I was truly intrigued by his stories and him as a person. I was literally at his house everyday because he lived only two blocks away. I would love to see him again ! I knew he was legend back then, and still is today!